Sunday, June 6, 2010

The Iron Chef Project

Every summer, I try to have a goal for me and the kids. Something we can look back on with pride, or at least good memories. The first summer, it was visiting places in Ohio that we had never seen.

Last year, it was about participating in camps.

For Lastborn, it will be the Iron Chef Project. This was Miss T's idea really, but Lastborn came up with the name and is very excited about the idea. We will attend our local farmer's market every Thursday and buy one item that is new to him - something he is not familiar with. Then we have to figure out how to cook and eat it.

We started last week and he picked out chives. I bought a chive plant that I was in need of anyway. I taught him how to make His Grandma's cream cheese and chive dip. He got to cut the chives up himself and stir them in with a little milk until the cream cheese was soft. Then we even found some soy cream cheese so that he can enjoy this treat more often. He loved it and carried it to school with crackers for snack.

I showed Lastborn all the herbs in my garden last week and let him smell and taste them. Now, when we are cooking, I can send him outside to cut me some fresh herbs when we need them.

So what will we find at the market next week?

No comments:

Post a Comment